Team: Suzanne Choi, Minkyung Kim
Client: MetaFit Solutions Inc.
My partner, Min Kim, and I collaborated with MetaFit Solutions, a company that provides Lifestyle Diagnostic Testing (LDT) software to track personal healthiness. For this project, we redefined the user experience with the goal of meaningfully communicating personal health record to users and healthcare providers. Taking a holistic approach, we aimed to provide constant, transparent, and personalized care to our users.
What is our pain?
People today have access to hundreds of tracking devices and apps that aggregate lifestyle activity data. Although there are multiple factors that shape a healthy lifestyle, current tools focus on only a few aspects of health, making the data seem dispersed and inaccessible. As a result, many people find it difficult to develop an actionable insight out of the data they have collected. We believe that these shortcomings are caused by a limited perspective and a lack of understanding of an individual's comprehensive health needs.
Who is MetaFit?
MetaFit distinguishes itself from other healthcare products by providing constant physical and online engagement between end users and professional healthcare providers over a 10 week period. However, both healthcare providers and users said they felt they did not fully benefit from the current system because they experienced difficulty in making sense of the complicated health data and utilizing the information to realize their health goals. As a result, MetaFit Solutions is loosing customers and users.
Opportunities from current MetaFit experience
As you can see from the user interface and sitemap below, MetaFit currently displays personal health records in a way that is very complex, dispersed, and redundant inhibiting users' understanding and their motivation to take further action.
Based on our user research and a heuristic evaluation of the site, we formulated three goals to improve MetaFit's experience:
1. Provide holistic overview of one's health by aggregating data from various tracking devices the user has,
2. Facilitate transparent communication between healthcare providers and end-users,
3. Personalize overall experience to meet individual's health needs and living pattern.
Actions we took to improve the MetaFit experience
We took the following actions to realize our goals:
1. Reorganizing information presented in MetaFit's current website so that users can compare and contrast real time progress data with their ultimate health goal.
2. Finding opportunities where users can integrate other tracking devices they already have (e.g. Fitbit, iHealth, etc.), so that they can get a more comprehensive overview of their lifestyle progress.
3. Brainstorming ways to encourage healthcare providers to suggest the next step and give positive reinforcement to end users so that end users are more motivated.
4. Build secure space between the healthcare provider and end user, so that both users feel comfortable communicating.
5. Provide the means to customize app behavior and monitoring preferences, so that users can make the most out of the MetaFit experience.
Streamlined measurement process
The step-by-step measurement process in the MetaFit mobile app helps healthcare providers easily take and store users' detailed measurements and communicate with end users.
MetaFit gathers the user's realtime lifestyle data from existing hardware and apps, serving as a central platform and providing a holistic overview of the user’s entire lifestyle. By reviewing daily progress on the main dashboard, users can reflect on their day and see the goals they have achieved, but can still determine areas where they can improve.
Users can customize their overall MetaFit experience by setting up notifications and monitoring preferences. Users can set the tone of software, select activities they want to monitor, and choose whether to receive location based notification. MetaFit adapts to individual health needs and living patterns to help each user achieve his or her goals most effectively. MetaFit also sends out healthy reminders and goal reinforcements to provide constant care.
Transparency in Healthcare
The healthcare provider has access to real time progress data anywhere at anytime through the MetaFit mobile app, and can leave direct feedback or words of encouragement based on progress. Both users can set up achievable daily goals on the user’s calendar.
Humanizing Health Care
Both healthcare provider and end-user can set up physical and online appointments as needed during the 10 weeks of engagement through the calendar provided with the MetaFit app. The calendar also displays daily goals and achievements, keeping them on the same page.
UX + UI
Senior Design Studio | Prof. Kristin Hughes, Prof. Mark Baskinger, Prof. Dylan Viton (Spring 2015)